POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Making this Christmas ornament look more real : Making this Christmas ornament look more real Server Time
5 Aug 2024 04:18:42 EDT (-0400)
  Making this Christmas ornament look more real
From: Graphic Designer
Date: 4 Dec 2002 13:48:58
Message: <MPG.1858187e9b1328d0989680@news.povray.org>
Hello,

It's been a long while since I've posted in these newsgroups, but here
goes:

I'd designing a Christmas e-card for a client, and I'm trying to get a
realistic looking ornament. You can take a look at my current render at:
http://www.docbrown.net/ornament2.jpg

Right now, the code for the ornament is:
union {
        sphere {
                <0,0,0>, 1
                pigment {color red 0.45}
                finish {
                        ambient 0.2
                        brilliance 6
                        diffuse 0.6
                        metallic
                        specular 0.95
                        roughness 1/120
                        reflection <0.5,0.03,0.03>
                        }
                }
        intersection{
                cylinder {<0,0,0>,<0,1.25,0>,0.3}
                cylinder {<0,-1,0>,<0,2,0>,0.2}
                        pigment {rgb 0.8}
                        finish {
                                ambient 0.2
                                brilliance 6
                                diffuse 0.7
                                metallic
                                //specular 0.80
                                //roughness 1/120
                                reflection 0.1
                                }
                }
        torus{
                0.2,0.01
                pigment {rgb 0.8}
                finish {
                        ambient 0.1
                        brilliance 6
                        diffuse 0.7
                        metallic
                        specular 0.80
                        roughness 1/120
                        reflection 0.9
                        }
                rotate 90*x
                translate 1.25*y
                }
        torus{
                0.1,0.01
                pigment {rgb 0.4}
                finish {
                        ambient 0.1
                        brilliance 6
                        diffuse 0.7
                        metallic
                        }
                rotate 90*x
                rotate 90*y
                translate 1.55*y
                }
        scale 40
        translate <-50,-6.5,0>
        }

What I need to do it to get the ornament to look more real. Right now,
It still looks flat, and the reflections aren't right. Does anyone have
any suggestions on how I could improve the ornament? Thanks!

-Ed Wedig
--
Edward Wedig